The Suffolk County District Attorney's office said it turned over convicted drunken...

The Suffolk County District Attorney's office said it turned over convicted drunken driver Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez to federal immigration agents on Monday. Credit: James Carbone

A four-time felony drunken driver who had been previously deported after a past driving-while-intoxicated conviction was detained Monday and turned over to federal immigration agents by Suffolk County district attorney investigators, the district attorney's office said Tuesday.

The driver, Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez, 36, a Salvadoran national, was pulled over in Riverhead near Main Street by the investigators and had been driving despite being released on Aug. 7 on the condition he not drive, pending sentencing for his latest drunken driving conviction, the office wrote in a news release issued Tuesday.

Aguilar-Alvarez is in the United States illegally, the release said, having been deported in 2024 following his third drunken driving conviction, a felony. He has four felony drunken driving convictions, the release said, and one misdemeanor.

Unlike in Suffolk, neighboring Nassau County officers have been deputized as immigration agents under an agreement with the Trump administration and cooperate more on immigration matters.

The Suffolk District Attorney’s Office declined to say how often, and under what circumstances it turns over immigrants to federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, except to cite Gov. Kathy Hochul’s remarks from May: "New York is not a sanctuary for criminals, and we will cooperate when crimes are being committed, going after dangerous criminals — not the act of crossing the border, but dangerous criminals. We'll help them there."

Hochul’s office did not return a message seeking comment.

At the Aug. 7 hearing, Aguilar-Alvarez was released, over the objection of the district attorney’s office, pending sentencing for the latest felony drunken driving conviction for driving recklessly in Southampton with a blood alcohol content more than twice the legal limit, the news release said.

Under state law, the judge had the discretion to release him pending sentencing.

"After consultation with the District Attorney’s Office, federal immigration authorities detained Aguilar-Alvarez as he was leaving the office following the processing of his most recent arrest," the release said, adding that he was also charged with driving without a valid license Monday. "The District Attorney’s Office will file a writ to bring Aguilar-Alvarez back to Suffolk County for sentencing on his felony conviction and for the summons."

Neither Aguilar-Alvarez nor a lawyer for him could be reached for comment.

Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV Credit: Newsday

$3B power line fight ... What's in store with weather ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV

Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV Credit: Newsday

$3B power line fight ... What's in store with weather ... Get the latest news and more great videos at NewsdayTV

SUBSCRIBE

Unlimited Digital AccessOnly 25¢for 6 months

ACT NOWSALE ENDS SOON | CANCEL ANYTIME