2 men charged in rape of teen girl in Roosevelt Preserve in September, police say

Nassau County police on Saturday announced that two men have been charged in the rape of a girl at a Roosevelt park last year. Credit: Jonathan Singh
Two men, one from Long Island, are accused in the rape of a girl at a Roosevelt park last year, Nassau County police announced.
Oscar Rivera Marquez, 20, of Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Ever Antonio Iraheta Mira, 29, of Franklin Square, connected with the teen victim on social media in September, Nassau detectives said in a news release on Saturday.
The men lured the girl to meet on Sept. 6 "with an offer to use a marijuana vape," according to police.
Police said the men had "inappropriate contact" with the juvenile at the Roosevelt Preserve, at Brooklyn Avenue and Frederick Avenue in Roosevelt.
Both men are charged with two counts of first-degree rape and endangering the welfare of a child.
Marquez was arraigned in First District Court in Hempstead on Friday and pleaded not guilty, according to court records. District Court Judge Ryan Cronin set bail at $1 million cash, $2.5 million bond or $5 million partially secured bond, records show.
Mira pleaded not guilty at an arraignment before Nassau District Court Judge David Wright on Saturday. The judge set bail at $100,000 cash or $200,000 bond or $1 million partially secured bond, according to court documents.
Court records show Mira is being represented by Kenneth Feraru of Garden City. Marquez is represented by Joseph Lo Piccolo, also of Garden City. Both are listed as assigned counsel.
Lo Piccolo, in an interview Saturday, said the judge set bail at double what prosecutors had been seeking.
"He lives out of state — his address is in Virginia. That combination, in the eyes of the court, made him a flight risk," he said.
He said Marquez maintains he is innocent.
"My client told the police when he was taken into custody that he had nothing to do with this incident, that he was not responsible for the allegations, and he does not know the basis of the allegations," Lo Piccolo said.
In an interview Saturday, Feraru said his client denies the allegations. "We'll deal with it in court," he said, declining further comment.
Marquez is due back in court on Tuesday. Mira has an appearance set for Wednesday.

'Very strong winds on the Island' A dangerous winter storm is on its way to Long Island. Newsday meteorologist Bill Korbel reports.

'Very strong winds on the Island' A dangerous winter storm is on its way to Long Island. Newsday meteorologist Bill Korbel reports.



